Former Alabama linebacker Reuben Foster has sent a letter to NFL teams apologizing for the incident that led to his dismissal from the scouting combine this week, according to NFL Network and confirmed by ESPN.
Foster got into a heated altercation with a hospital worker on Friday, multiple sources told ESPN’s Adam Schefter, and he was sent home prior to team interviews Friday night and testing Saturday.
A league source said there was a “miscommunication” that allowed the argument between Foster and a hospital worker to escalate.
Foster had been waiting for an extended period of time for what the NFL calls his “pre-exam” when he grew increasingly impatient and began questioning a hospital worker.
The hospital worker did not take kindly to Foster’s words, and eventually the two were face-to-face in a heated exchange.
According to AL.com, Foster had said “nothing happened” in a live Instagram video posted Saturday.
Foster was Alabama’s leading tackler last season and a unanimous first-team All-American. He also won the Butkus Award, given to the nation’s best linebacker.
He is recovering from recent rotator cuff surgery in his right shoulder and was not scheduled to participate in drills at the combine. In his video chat, Foster said he’d be out of the sling in a week.
“Everything ain’t perfect,” he said. “I’m good. I just have to think. I just had to sit back and relax and think about what I really want.”
Foster said he’s making himself available to any team that wants to speak with him on Tuesday, the day before Alabama’s pro day in Tuscaloosa.
Foster’s projected recovery timetable was about four months, a source told ESPN’s Adam Caplan, which is well ahead of the start of training camps in July.